Oncology Government Affairs & Communications Manager (Hybrid home-working / West London Head Office)
Purpose: Responsible for coordinating the successful design and delivery of the Government Affairs and Communication tactical plans for the Oncology Business Unit Portfolio. Accountable for the planning, development and delivery of high impact political shaping and policy engagement programmes to support the business unit objectives.
At an NHS policy level, responsible for supporting the oncology business unit in their shaping of the external environment, engaging with key external NHS stakeholders and influencers at a National, Regional and Local level and support patient access to our products.
Accountabilities and Measurements:
1. Customer centric Government affairs and NHS policy planning and implementation
• Development of a comprehensive integrated government affairs and communications tactical plan.
• Lobbying with key political and policy stakeholders to drive oncology business unit objectives
• Planning and implementation of a communications strategy which is in sync with government affairs strategy and tactics
• Influence, build and manage external relationships
• Consistently communicate key policy messages to decision makers and parliamentarians.
• Participate in appropriate industry groups to identify and engage with key stakeholders
• Manage Government Affairs and Communications agency relationships.
2. Collaborates within the organisation and externally to achieve brand objectives and to gather internal and external environmental insights
• Engage with all relevant internal and external stakeholders, resulting in exceptional insight driving the development, implementation and evaluation of our plans and individual tactics.
• Work with the Market Access Director to identify opportunities for the company to influence policy development and political decision-making
• Liaise with appropriate internal teams to develop a cohesive approach, identifying areas where a government affairs and NHS advocacy strategy would be appropriate
• Take responsibility for coordinating key projects as agreed with line manager across multi-disciplinary teams through effective project management skills
3. Accountable for the management of costs versus budget for agreed projects and proactively identifies/escalates any variances to the Finance Director.
• Maintain an accurate picture of budget status across all projects.
• Manage and re-phase monthly budgets when appropriate based upon the most recent and accurate information.
• Monitor actual expenditure on monthly basis in line with approved plans and ensure any variance can be clearly justified.
• Collaborate with stakeholders to ensure that financial reports reflect the true picture in terms of financial expenditure at any point in time.
• Ensure all internal financial processes are followed at all times with reference to expenditure and supplier management.
• Experience of working with a diverse set of key political and NHS stakeholders and commissioning work with government/communications agencies.
• Demonstrated creation and coordination of high impact political and policy engagement programmes and campaigns.
• Experience of representation on high level external Industry group forums, e.g. ABPI.
• Understanding of the Political and Parliamentary process and an existing network of key political and NHS stakeholders.
• Strong commercial awareness
• Excellent communications skills; verbal, written, presentation.
• High impact influencing and negotiating skills.
• Works independently in areas of technical expertise
• Proven ability to work collaboratively at all levels within the organisation.
• Effective planning, prioritisation and project management skills.
• Ability to work in a cross-functional, matrix environment.
• In depth understanding of the ABPI code.
• Degree level education (or equivalent), preferably life sciences.
• Experience in the pharmaceutical industry operating at a senior level
• Experience within the oncology disease area.